Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Some Final Thoughts

I've been putting this post off for a while because I'm not quite sure what to say here. Maybe to get things rolling, I'll talk about boring logistics and what resources I used, if only because this could be useful for other travelers.
  • For general research about a place, I always used Lonely Planet books and Wikitravel. I often used these resources for activities, restaurants, and bars as well, but I still feel that most of their value comes from more general information like geography, neighborhoods, weather, transportation, and - arguably most importantly - customs and etiquette. Many travelers and even some locals were surprised that I already knew local terms or things like how to hail a cab, ask for the check, or properly greet someone. It's not hard, just read a travel guide for an hour or two; it makes for good reading when you're on the plane/train/bus/boat that is taking you to your next destination.
  • Love it or hate it (and I've been on both sides), TripAdvisor is probably the best source for restaurants internationally. It's also good for activities.
  • For flights, I always started with Kayak and almost always ended up flying AirAsia. In general, if you're looking to travel around Asia, don't buy all your tickets up front. Instead, only buy your tickets in and out of the continent and then use any of the numerous low-cost carriers to get around; they should be cheaper than the big airlines and you'll have a lot more flexibility when you're traveling.
  • For lodging, I usually went through a progression of Agoda, Booking, Airbnb, and Hostelworld. I tend to not stay in hostels - which I guess makes me a flashpacker, not a backpacker - since I equate dorms with restless nights (I'm a light sleeper) and not much security for my things. I could usually find a pretty cheap guesthouse, motel, or bungalow wherever I went so I'd have my own space.
And here's some random advice:
  • If you have room for it, bring a tablet. This was the single best purchase I made for my trip. Even though I also traveled with a phone, camera, and laptop, I used my tablet the most. It became pretty essential for a lot of trip planning (most of the links above have dedicated apps), everyday activities (email, Facebook, chat, finances), and reading (books, magazines, and news). It also helps with traveling light since you can chuck all your paper books. An alternative to a tablet would be a smartphone and a Kindle. Either way, don't travel with paper books.
  • Buy a SIM card with a data plan for each country you go to. It's usually reasonably priced and easy to get in the airport and will make your travels so much easier.
  • Travel with Tylenol, Advil, Pepto or activated charcoal, antibiotics, and a thermometer. For the first six months of my trip, I got sick (as in, stomach issues) once a month, and I'm a pretty selective eater. You're going to get sick, so it's best to be prepared.
  • Finally, get a Mint account. 'Nuff said.


Rather than attempting some free-form rambling about my trip, I'll instead answer the questions I've heard the most since I've been back.

What was your favorite place?

Impossible to answer. I liked many things about everywhere I went. I will mention that I spent the most time in Thailand, specifically Chiang Mai, because I found two jobs there and got sucked into the city, but I still refuse to pick a favorite.

How did you handle traveling alone for that long?

For starters, I had some consistent company during good portions of the trip: Sabina in August in Thailand, Omar in November in Thailand, coworkers and fellow volunteers in Chiang Mai from November to February, Andrew and Ka-Hing in Hong Kong in April, and Andrew in Japan at the tail end. If I was in a place where I didn't know anyone, I'd usually meet people by going to a bar or restaurant or some other business or event. I've said it before and I'll say it again: smiling and being friendly and courteous will take you very far.

I'll also readily admit that I'm quite comfortable doing things on my own. It's always possible to go sightseeing, take photos, or grab some food by yourself. If all else fails, go for a walk, exercise, or just read a book. One of the requirements of being an adult is the ability to do things by (and for) yourself.

Oh yeah, Skype video calls are great too.

What was the hardest part? What did you miss?

Excluding the obvious answer of "family and friends", I was legitimately stumped the first time someone asked me this. People are friendly, transportation is good and/or cheap, the nature is beautiful, the culture and tourist sights are fascinating, and the food is some of the best I've ever had. I was even able to get good Western food and drinks in many places.

That said, I'd say I missed not-hot-as-balls-weather (though I did get acclimated to the heat), set prices on everything (haggling is customary), being able to speak the local language fluently, and a proper Mission burrito.

If I lived and worked in a single place for the entire time, I'm sure I'd have a much better response, but this is my best answer as a nomadic tourist.

How does it feel to be back?

Weird, but familiar. I'm still not sure if I've woken up from a nine-month dream or if I'm sleeping now and I'll wake up in Asia again. Yet, everything around me is very familiar and it was very easy to get back into the swing of things here. Really, the only reverse culture shock has been dealing with how incredibly expensive everything is.

What now?

TBD, but my next post (hopefully coming tomorrow) has some details.



The entire experience was incredible, life-affirming, and impossible to put into words. I've told many stories about my travels to friends and family back home and I can tell that I'm underselling the experience every time. I'll put it this way: you know that tingling feeling you sometimes get on the back of your neck when you're really happy or excited or inspired? Yeah, it's like that.

One of my hopes for writing this blog - even though I'm not naturally inclined to write and it's sometimes a real chore - is that I encourage people to go out and have their own adventures. To that end, I present to you a montage of some of my favorite photos and memories from the last nine months.

Life's waiting to begin.